Thursday 29 January 2015

Passion

What we feed, cultivate, and desire is what our passion is.

What do I spend my time on? What do I wish I had more time to do? Where do I direct my energies? What do I seek to know more of?

Some of the things that I enjoy are good - designing, music, reading, playing games. But if they take up the best of my time, energy and joy then what do I have left to give to God, devotions, holiness and love? Not much usually. If I claim that Jesus is Lord, then he should be my passion, and should be the object of my affection, my nurture and desire.

There are a few habits I am working on that tend to take me away from being focused on Jesus. One such habit is checking emails first thing in the morning (in doing so I am creating a personal culture that work is more important). Instead of doing this I am asking God to help me resist the temptation, and to create in me a desire to know and be with Him. Before I check my emails I have to have breakfast, and over breakfast I read the Bible, a and sometimes part of a devotional book (at the moment it's 'Knowing God') and pray. Only once I have focused on God and made him the centre of my day can I check emails.

It's a small thing, and some would say legalistic, but I know my heart and I know when it's prone to wander and where it wanders to.

"Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above"
I want God to be my passion, to be permeating my thoughts and conversations, changing me to be more like Jesus. I want to see Him working in me, my husband and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment